Fedora Release Graphics Specs

Diana Fong dfong at redhat.com
Mon Dec 11 20:07:34 UTC 2006

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Thank you for putting this information together in one place and
> making it available. It would probably be nice to link to
> ReleaseGraphics from the front Artwork page - I didn't see it there.

Not sure whether to replace the ThemingOverview content, I had wanted to
get some feedback first before linking.
Done.

> 1. 'File Name + Extension:' - You should include the full path of the
> image so people know where to place it when they're testing their
> images. Just the filename isn't that helpful.

Updated...filled in as many as I could.

> 2. We really need information on how to test each graphic. I know how
> to do a few of these so I'll write them up - maybe it would be better
> to have a separate page for each type of graphic with an index page
> linking them and detailed testing information for each.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  However, please let me know
prior to posting it on the wiki so I can double check the information
with our engineers here.  Thanks.

> 3. 'File Name + Extension: background.png + gdm' This isn't actually
> correct. GDM themes are more complicated than this. The theme is
> actually an XML file in /usr/share/gdm/themes/$THEME_NAME that
> references images, and the name of the XML file & image names and
> filepaths can be rather arbitrary.

To help expand upon this section, I've included a link to
http://www.jirka.org/gdm-documentation/x1454.html for more information.
A cursory glance at the page indicates it to be informative...however,
if you find a more recent/better page, please let me know.

> 4. Should probably take out the screensaver lock dialogs information
> since I don't believe those are open for graphic design anymore. The
> sprites can certainly be modified though.

I would like to keep the information available as the option to theme
the lock dialog image is still there and request for its consideration
was brought up during FC6.  However, as mentioned before, the Lock
dialog as well as the GNOME splash screen are turned off by default (fwiw).

Diana Fong
---
Red Hat
Visual Designer | Desktop Group