Fedora Release Graphics Specs

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Tue Dec 12 01:51:10 UTC 2006

Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 15:07 -0500, Diana Fong wrote:
>> Máirín Duffy wrote:
>>> 4. Should probably take out the screensaver lock dialogs information
>>> since I don't believe those are open for graphic design anymore. The
>>> sprites can certainly be modified though.
>> I would like to keep the information available as the option to theme
>> the lock dialog image is still there and request for its consideration
>> was brought up during FC6.  However, as mentioned before, the Lock
>> dialog as well as the GNOME splash screen are turned off by default (fwiw).
>
> I'd really miss this if it were gone, but hey, I'm just one guy.  I turn
> mine back on with the gconf key to see the DNA goodness. :-)

Well, besides the obvious usability issues, the fact is that screensaver
lock dialogs are actually something that folks keen to security issues
kind of worry about. If a screensaver lock dialog isn't the standard
design of the rest of the gui, it kind of sends off signals that maybe
it's a phishing scam or some kind of program set up to snag your password.

Having one standard, usable, *accessible* dialog that expands properly
to fit long usernames (firstname.lastname is a common username scheme
and did not fit in the fc5 lock dialog at least) is really what people
expect to see, won't freak anybody out, may be less spoofable, and is
less likely to cause usability or accessibility issues since it's using
the standard widgets and the buttons/widgets are the standard ones that
people recognize and have learned to interact with.

One thing I think might be cool to expand on though, that's in a similar
vein but maybe doesn't have quite the risk is the GNOME 'About Me'
dialog - if we had a set of Fedora-themed avatars and maybe came up with
a face-browser GDM theme along with the standard one for FC7. We have
enough time to plan that out.