Fedora 7 Art Plan (was Art Team FC7 Progress So Far - Community Feedback)

Diana Fong dfong at redhat.com
Thu Dec 21 04:33:57 UTC 2006

John Baer wrote:
> Máirín & Diana,
>
> Can you give us some guidance as to where we are in the process? Do you
> want to open our work up for suggestions by posting an entry in the
> forum?
>
> Is there something else I can do?
>
> Thanks,

Hello John, et al.

As this seems to be the current Fedora 7 schedule [1].  I'd like for the
graphics to be mostly completed by February 12th, in time for Test2.
This will give David Zeuthen and others enough time to integrate the
graphics.  "Mostly completed" means that there is: 1) a set look and 2)
coverage of all the pieces indicated on the ReleaseGraphics [3] wiki in
that style.  Of course, minor polish can be accepted until Test3.

So how do we get there?

The FlyingHigh theme [2] proposed by John Baer has the greatest
potential and interest.  Time is short and there is still more
exploration I would like to see within the theme so I'm declaring this
the official theme for Fedora 7.  Now, with that said, I would encourage
everyone to take the next few weeks to experiment with different visual
styles within this theme.  Explore...the use of various colors,
different ways of rendering, varying positioning/interaction of hot-air
balloons with the sky/ground/clouds/nature, even different ways the
hot-air balloon can look.  I too shall be trying out various approaches
over the holiday.  To get a good sense of whether a particular style
works, I've found it useful to contextualize the style for: 1) wallpaper
1600x1200, 2) login (GDM) mockups, 3) anaconda_header and sometimes 4)
firstboot-left.

On January 10th, I and other members of the Desktop team at Red Hat will
reassess the variations submitted within the FlyingHigh theme and make a
decision on the visual style.  This decision will either be to go with a
completely awesome submission or to work with the best submission artist
in finalizing the look and feel during the remainder of the week.

Weeks following...till February 12th will be to populate the necessary
graphics for Fedora 7.

[1]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2006-December/msg00170.html
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fc7ThemeProposalFlyingHighPOC