Fedora 7 Art Plan (was Art Team FC7 Progress So Far - Community Feedback)

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Thu Dec 21 07:33:15 UTC 2006

David Zeuthen wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 23:39 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>
> (So.. it's a bit ironic you just said in the other mail just earlier
> this evening "this is a community project!" and now refer to a deadline
> *you* set...

Well, Mairin proposed a plan for Round 2, *I* asked for a deadline,
Mairin said a date and nobody objected. It sounds like a community
process to me...

> If you ask me, I think what is needed is an individual, a benevolent
> dictator if you like, that sets the direction and facilitates community
> contributions. There's an expression along the lines of "too many cooks
> ruin the meal" [1] and I think especially for visuals it's very true. If
> you look at John's mail I think it echoes this need too... a need for a
> project maintainer / coordinator.
>
>> Under what authority?
>
> It seems to me somewhat that you're turning this into a fight over power
> and who gets to call the shots. Most projects in our Fedora universe
> have maintainers and leaders; why is it any different for artwork and
> why should it be a problem?

Please refer to this Fedora board meeting:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board/Meetings/2006-11-20?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=fedora-board-20061120.txt

Quote:
[Mon Nov 20 2006] [12:06:58] <mspevack>	topic 1 -- art.  Leadership
needs to be defined
[Mon Nov 20 2006] [12:07:06] <mspevack>	clearly the two largest leaders
have been Maureen Duffy and Diana Fong
[Mon Nov 20 2006] [12:07:37] <mspevack>	there was a conversation last
week with Diana in which she offered to put together some policy and
structure around the use of people who are doing mockups, ideas, etc. of
the Fedora Mark.
[Mon Nov 20 2006] [12:08:09] <warren>	mspevack, I recall Maureen did
quite a bit of work related to that in the past.  was she in the discussion?
[Mon Nov 20 2006] [12:08:42] <mspevack>	What the Board wants to do is
identify one person who can be the clear leader of the art project.  Max
will talk with Maureen and Diana both, make sure they are on the same
page, see who wants to do what, etc.

So yes, everyone agrees about Fedora Art needing leadership but AFAIK
there was no resolution yet. Or it was decided and we, the one who
should be lead were not informed about it...

> p.s. : somewhat off-topic.. however a bit on-topic for this.. it's
> interesting to look at other distributions, for example did you see what
> happened to Ubuntu's artwork during their last release?

Or it could be the other way: contributors unhappy with the leadership
starting to pursue different venues for the time being.

Note: my position should not be read as being against the FlyingHigh theme.

--
nicu