Community Feedback on Theme Work so far (part 2)

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Fri Dec 22 22:52:37 UTC 2006

Hey folks,

So we still continue to get feedback on what we came up with for round
1, both in my blog post and in Fedora Forum. Here's a recap:

1) Fedora Forum Feedback

Martin Sourada created a poll on the different submissions we had at the
end of round 1 (based on the blog post (see #2 below). By far the top
two were Planet and Borealis:

There also seem to be some concerns about the themes appearing
'child-like', and 'not professional enough'. (I did let folks know that
the images they were looking at were rough conceptual art and that we're
in the process of refinement.)

2) Blog Post Feedback

I announced round 2 of the theme process in my blog (which the Fedora
News article linked to) and as a result we're still getting tons of replies:

http://mihmo.livejournal.com/35195.html

The feedback is very very strongly for planet. People really seem to
like the idea: "The image really reflects the vast possibility of the
Fedora Project." "Im with the Fedora Planet because it punches the most
meaningful theme to the user. Looking at it, the first thing that came
out in my mind about fedora for its background that flashes the infinite
spaces that unknown to us which exactly as same as the fedora's logo
itself. The planet which fedora's logo in it also mark the global fedora
which means that it will someday be the most OS uses in the world or far
beyond."

Another thing mentioned in the replies here are mashing up the different
submissions - eg. 'justnerds' suggested:

"This may be impractical, but what about taking a couple of the other
themes (planet, borealis), and putting them on the balloons in the
Flying High wallpaper/theme." and "there may be a synergy by combining
Planet & Flying High."

We got feedback that FC6 was too dark and that FC7's theme should be
lighter. "I LOVE the light blue... it looks more friendly than the dark
one, which is in FC6..."

We also got more feedback on a more 'natural' theme - "i think that the
right is put just "natural images", no cars, and airplanes, and
"high-tech" stuff, 'cause there are people that won't like of this, like me"

Anyway, these are what I got out of the feedback. Feel free to take a
look at the feedback directly and let's discuss what you got out of it
and where we should go based on it!