Who is Our Target Audience

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Dec 24 00:55:39 UTC 2006

Ben Arnold wrote:
> On 23/12/06, Chitlesh GOORAH <chitlesh at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> On 12/23/06, John Baer wrote:
>
>> > I've been working under an assumption as to who our target audience is
>> > but in the world of project management every assumption should be
>> stated
>> > so that it can be agreed to.
>
> The blurb on the FedoraProject Overview is written in such a way that
> it seems the slightly more technical user at home. The hobbyist if you
> like. The text, "It comes out twice a year or so," says the confident
> business clients would probably not like FC because of it's
> cutting-edge-ness.

I wouldnt say so. In particular, a large segment of business clients
wouldnt care about how fast the next release comes out as much as how
long the current release is.

We defined our objectives clearly at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives. Target audience is something
usually associated with market segmentation and associated need to focus
on products. Fedora however can also a toolbox from which different
users pick the pieces they want. For example, if Fedora as it is doesnt
fit into the needs of thin client or audio workstation users, they can
always help in the integration of K12LTSP or Planet CCRMA.

If their needs doesnt match well with the project ideas they can always
create derivatives and forks. We should not restrict ourselves to one
set of users. Btw, the overview needs a revamp so dont read too much
into it currently.

Rahul