[Fwd: [Fedora Project Wiki] Update of "Artwork/ReleaseGraphics" by DianaFong]

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Thu Dec 21 16:27:31 UTC 2006

Hello Diana,

Diana Fong wrote:
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
>> May I ask *why* we now have two pages for essentially the same thing?

> As per my original email in introducing the ReleaseGraphics page [1], I
> believe paragraph three explains: 1) my creation of a new page, 2) why I
> had not overwritten the ThemingOverview page, and 3) a proposal for what
> the ThemingOverview page could be for.  Nobody objected, rather...Rahul
> commented that it made sense [2], and you yourself suggested linking it
> to the front Artwork page [3].
>
> Hope this clarifies any misunderstandings.

I hate to say it really doesn't. Those don't explain why you would take
a wiki page that is nearly a year old (and likely has internal and
external links pointing to it), duplicate and modify its content, and
fail to credit those who created the original content and actually take
full credit for the content itself. To your points:

1) ThemingOverview was already available and already had that
information. Why not just improve ThemingOverview?

2) Why not rearrange the information or move it to another page? It
would make sense to have release-specific and non-release specific
sections on the page.

3) You want to revamp ThemingOverview to link to a new page that was
created just like it, and replace the ThemingOverview content with
information that doesn't have to do with the theming for a release. Why?
Why not create the new page with the additional information, move the
non release-specific theming information to that page, and then link
them together?

Here are the reasons I merged the two pages back together:

1) All the information in one place for contributors so it's easy to
find and use.

2) All of the historical information on contribution to the page is in
the page history which started close to a year ago. The other page was
newer and had far fewer edits to preserve.

3) It's the older page so any external links that pointed to it will
still be able to find the information.

I hope this clarifies why I merged the two pages together, hoping the
content could live at the older URL and why I was disappointed to see
the other page spring up again.