Yet Another Graffiti Wallpaper

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Sat Jul 29 05:31:19 UTC 2006

Patrick W. Barnes wrote:
> There's still a popular perception that graffiti is associated with pop
> culture and is unprofessional.

I've always seen RHEL as being 'professional' or 'enterprise-y' while
Fedora as more 'bleeding edge' and 'fun.'

> It could be risky to use graffiti as part of
> the default theme in Fedora.

What is the risk?

Don't we already have enough sterile, 'enterprise-ready' artwork out
there? Perhaps Linux can grow from a painfully narrow demographic to a
much wider one with a bit more variety in the artwork? Maybe we could
try to push the edge by having a different theme/style each release?

Just some food for thought. I'm not pushing for these to be default, but
at the same time, I *am* pretty sick of the same-old, same-old 'sterile'
graphic styles.

For our last release, we had a bubble theme, which you could say is not
'professional,' but was most definitely 'fun' and generated a lot of
excitement around the release. I kind of thought the point of Fedora was
to build a community operating system, not to cater to professional
types. There are plenty of other distros for that.

Thanks,