Yet Another Graffiti Wallpaper

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Jul 31 07:22:54 UTC 2006

Máirín Duffy wrote:

> Don't we already have enough sterile, 'enterprise-ready' artwork out
> there? Perhaps Linux can grow from a painfully narrow demographic to a
> much wider one with a bit more variety in the artwork? Maybe we could
> try to push the edge by having a different theme/style each release?
>
> Just some food for thought. I'm not pushing for these to be default, but
> at the same time, I *am* pretty sick of the same-old, same-old 'sterile'
> graphic styles.

+1: be bold, be innovative, make it fun, make people care.
Do you remember when Ubuntu started pushing wallpapers with naked
people? That was highly controversial, but it was a bold movement which
generated a lot of talk and made people care about Ubuntu.

So, be bold and do not hesitate to try new things.

> For our last release, we had a bubble theme, which you could say is not
> 'professional,' but was most definitely 'fun' and generated a lot of
> excitement around the release. I kind of thought the point of Fedora was
> to build a community operating system, not to cater to professional
> types. There are plenty of other distros for that.

I did not like very much the "Bubble" theme but have created some works
based on it, I am neither very fond of this "Graffiti" theme (at least
now is blue, which is much better than the initial olive) but if it is
used in the release probably I will try to do something based on it.
For the next release after FC6 we should pick another theme and have fun
with it.

I agree with you, by definition Fedora is not "enterprise" so we do not
have to stay stuck with the enterprise rigidity.

--
nicu