Puplet Icons

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Fri Jun 9 17:57:38 UTC 2006

Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
>

>> I started work on icon #1 working from the style / color palette Diana
>> has set with her new icon theme:
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/NewIconDevelopment
>

> I am not very fond of the animations in the icon, in fact i used to hate
> the red notification in up2date, it was too obtrusive.

Yeh, I agree. That's why I'm thinking about just having a somewhat subtle color
highlight (that does not glow, or throb, or anything!!!!!! it stays put!!! ;-) )
to indicate an update is available. Stuff blinking on the screen gets quite
out-of-hand!

> As you say in the wiki, going without CDROM will permit sub-icons. I
> agree about dropping the CDROM, it has no place here, the update is made
> over the network, not from optical media.
> As for sub-icons, why not going with the most obvious choices: red
> exclamation mark for security updates, yellow or orange exclamation mark
> for other updates, arrow for download in progress, green checkmark for
> success and red X for error?

Well, I'm thinking arrows for download in progress definitely. I was thinking
about arrows in the same style as the 'home' icon is in the folder here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/BluecurveAndBeyond?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=screen01_28.png

You know with the blue color and white outline accents. Maybe a bit more upright
though.

I do have a set of critical / warning update icons I did for RHN (system update
status ones at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/BluecurveLibrary) which we
can use. The thing is though, I think what we have are the following, in order
to least to most severe:

- Enhancement Updates
- Bug updates
- Security update: Low
- Security update: Moderate
- Security update: Important
- Security update: Critical

That's a lot of different states. :-/

>> If anybody has any thoughts about what could be used to represent the
>> different icons needed or any ideas on improvements to what I've put
>> up or even if you just want to play around with the SVG feel free!
>>
>> What do you guys think about the perspective of panel icons? Flat or
>> isometric to match the rest?
>

> I find this question hard to answer. To me the flat icon look plain and
> boring and the isometric one not very readable at this small size
> (24x24) - but do not understand me wrong, i like very much how the icons
> look at the large size (with the 'isometric perspective' as a favorite).

Yeh the lines on the flat ones are a lot more readable at such a small size, but
the isometric ones, while more challenging to get nice lines on at a small size
are easier to figure out waht they are because you get to see more than one
side. For example, I showed the flat update ones I did to someone and they
thought the package looked like a terracotta plant pot. :) It's much harder to
tell what something is if it is flat.