Cataloguing & Converting Bluecurve Icons

Steven Garrity stevelist at silverorange.com
Mon May 22 22:54:53 UTC 2006

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> *Many* people have expressed interest in keeping Bluecurve alive.
> Whether or not it lives on as the default style for Fedora, it's still a
> large set of GPL artwork that is sadly quite poorly documented, so this
> is a plan to at least make a set of guidelines for making more icons in
> the set and making it easy to browse the entire catalog of icons and
> contribute to it.

Make sense.

>> The thing about Tango is, for it to really work, there needs to be
>> adoption.
> How so?

To create a visual style that 3rd-party app developers can design to fit
in with (as they can on the Mac, and sort-of on Windows), there must be
a relatively consistent general visual style across the major distros.
Maybe that's a pipe-dream (or just bad idea)...

> Is there really that much advantage to every Linux desktop's icons
> looking *exactly* the same? How about if we stuck to a common set of
> metaphors? This is something that I brought up in my discussion with
> Andreas that still has not been addressed for me:

No, they don't have to be exactly the same. However, pushing this that
make sense to be in common upstream makes sense. Sharing things like
stroke-style, perspective, etc. can make things easier for 3rd party
apps developers to blend in with.

As for icon metaphors, that's a great idea. There was some talk of a
common icon metaphor list on the Tango list. We've got a basic table of
existing icon metaphors used in KDE and Gnome, and the suggested Tango
metaphor. It is quite incomplete, but we'd love to have
help/collaboration on it.

Steven Garrity