Cataloguing & Converting Bluecurve Icons

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue May 23 06:10:25 UTC 2006

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> I think there is a real need to catalog these, in an Inkscape-compatible
> SVG format, and make it easy for anybody to
>
> (1) grab the artwork they need
> (2) contribute changes / tweaks / improvements
> (3) contribute new icons

I don't have access to Illustrator, so if someone else can convert the
.ai files to SVG i can help cleaning the results, breaking the icons in
individual files etc.

> As I create new icons, I'll be putting them in the wiki, but... I don't
> think that is especially scaleable, considering the number of icons we
> have. Does anybody have any ideas as far as how we can catalog these
> images nicely? Are there any FOSS photo gallery apps that maybe have
> revision control built-in?

Not only that, it should also support our specific file types.
A gallery would be awesome, for a large number of icons search
functionality will become important. Also we may want some kind of
feedback (comments).

Unfortunately, the choice is very restricted: people in charge of the
website infrastructure have a policy - no php is allowed, python is the
preferred language, so the large majority of gallery software is out of
reach.

> My first thought is to simply set up a svn or cvs repo with a nice web
> frontend for people to browse & grab the icons... but I'm afraid setting
> up svn/cvs and learning all that crap will be a big barrier to entry for
> new artists. Maybe there is a web frontend for a revision control system
> that lets you upload new revisions from your browser?

At the Open Clip Art Library we have the plan of using CreativeCommon's
ccHost (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/CcHost), but we have to add SVG
support before it can be used for the job. I think such a tool would be
useful for Fedora Art, if not for icons at least for wallpapers.

--
nicu