Cataloguing & Converting Bluecurve Icons

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Tue May 23 14:51:26 UTC 2006

Nicu Buculei wrote:
> I don't have access to Illustrator, so if someone else can convert the
> .ai files to SVG i can help cleaning the results, breaking the icons in
> individual files etc.

I can start converting them to SVG. The reason I haven't thus far - if you
convert a whole ai sheet to SVG, it croaks when you try to open it in Inkscape -
I don't think through any fault of Inkscape, I think just because Illustrator
isn't real swift at exporting SVG. Sigh. I'm probably going to have to break the
sheets into chunks to get this to work - If anybody else has Illustrator and is
willing to help let me know and we can divy them up.

> Not only that, it should also support our specific file types.
> A gallery would be awesome, for a large number of icons search
> functionality will become important. Also we may want some kind of
> feedback (comments).
>
> Unfortunately, the choice is very restricted: people in charge of the
> website infrastructure have a policy - no php is allowed, python is the
> preferred language, so the large majority of gallery software is out of
> reach.

Yeh..... these limitations really suck. :-/

> At the Open Clip Art Library we have the plan of using CreativeCommon's
> ccHost (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/CcHost), but we have to add SVG
> support before it can be used for the job. I think such a tool would be
> useful for Fedora Art, if not for icons at least for wallpapers.

Interesting, I will take a look!