New logo guidelines and web design elements posted

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Sun May 28 06:27:26 UTC 2006

Hi Charles,

chasd at silveroaks.com wrote:
> No.
> With identity management, there can be only One True Way. Variation is
> confusing and dilutes the identity as one other poster already mentioned.

Actually, this is *not* true with respect to what Hugo is suggesting. For example:

http://www.rpi.edu/dept/NewsComm/graphics/downloads/pdfs/toolkit.pdf

Look at pages 8 & 9 of the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute brand book. A
university is a large organization made up of many sub-organizations - schools,
departments, research labs, etc. RPI's brand guidelines (as most universities'
and large corporations') recognize that they must apply to many disparate
sub-organizations that share the same 'brand' and have guidelines for
incorparating the use of their logo for those sub-organizations.

This concept of 'sub-logo' guidelines actually not that uncommon in brand
design, and it would be nice if such sub-logo guidelines could be specified for
Fedora's logo. I think Hugo's idea is a great one. These guidelines could be
used for Fedora groups in specific locations, as Hugo cited, and also for Fedora
projects, e.g. "Fedora Documentation Team," "Fedora Marketing Team," etc.

Fwiw, I think Diana's banner for the wiki using the new logo is an excellent
look for such a sub-logo [1]. I do understand that the 'sub-logo' logotype is
the same as the 'fedora' logotype, which is proprietary and would make it costly
for would-be contributors to design these logos for their sub-organizations. So
perhaps the URW font (I don't remember the name offhand) could be used with the
same treatment (maybe a bit lighter blue) that Diana used.

[1] http://people.redhat.com/dfong/flogo/newHeaders.htm