New Fedora GTK Theme

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Nov 12 08:07:49 UTC 2006

Máirín Duffy wrote:

> Cimi, thank you for starting this discussion.

Yep. Always nice to have upstream developers collaborate with us. Thanks.

> I don't think that this is a matter of the 'art team making a decision"
> though. This is a matter of there being absolutely no process. There
> isn't any defined process to get artwork & themes into the distribution
> right now. This is a very old problem so let's just trailblaze through it.

Its not quite a problem really. Ping the
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Core/SteeringCommittee when the artwork
team agrees on something. This will probably go through the desktop team
for their input too primarily at the code level. It helps to actually
have this packaged already in Fedora Extras before proposing it for
Fedora Core.

> It seems quite reasonable to at least include this theme engine in the
> distro via Extras if not in Core, as long as someone is willing to
> maintain the package. Would either you or Leo be willing to maintain it?
> If so, you may want to ask someone like Jesse Keating or Rahul about the
> process of getting it into the distribution.

A fedora-list discussion suggest that there are people interested in
doing this. Since we have a general policy on staying close to upstream,
it would be nice if upstream people are involved in the packaging
efforts too. It helps in user <-> developer interactions. If you are not
interested in packaging this, you can set bugzilla preferences to be
automatically CC'ed on all bugs for that particular component. This is
what upstream Gaim developers do for example.

> Where the art team comes in I believe is picking out a default theme for
> Murrine. Can you suggest some nice ones, Leo or Cimi? We haven't decided
> on a theme/style for FC7 yet but once we do I think that'd be the
> appropriate time to specify the colors for the theme.
>
> Does anyone oppose moving to the Murrine engine?

Well, one question. How can we intelligently comment on a engine without
looking at the code? If the themes are completely customizable which
apparently is the case here, how do we understand the value of a
particular engine over another by merely looking at screenshots?

Rahul