New Fedora GTK Theme

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Sun Nov 12 17:10:25 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> I don't think that this is a matter of the 'art team making a
>> decision" though. This is a matter of there being absolutely no
>> process. There isn't any defined process to get artwork & themes into
>> the distribution right now. This is a very old problem so let's just
>> trailblaze through it.
>
> Its not quite a problem really.

(Well, actually it is but I won't elaborate any more. 0:) )

> A fedora-list discussion suggest that there are people interested in
> doing this. Since we have a general policy on staying close to upstream,
> it would be nice if upstream people are involved in the packaging
> efforts too. It helps in user <-> developer interactions. If you are not
> interested in packaging this, you can set bugzilla preferences to be
> automatically CC'ed on all bugs for that particular component. This is
> what upstream Gaim developers do for example.

What do you think about this idea, Cimi? I know you can't package
Murrine but Would you be willing to be CC'ed on Fedora Murrine bugs?

>> Does anyone oppose moving to the Murrine engine?
>
> Well, one question. How can we intelligently comment on a engine without
> looking at the code? If the themes are completely customizable which
> apparently is the case here, how do we understand the value of a
> particular engine over another by merely looking at screenshots?

By using it and getting a sense for its look & feel (definitely
different than Clearlooks), snappiness/speed, and
customizability/available themes is what I was thinking. The code isn't
everything, right? ...A means to an end for our purposes here. If nobody
opposes it on those fronts then it would be well worth a code review; I
can probablay talk to Ray about that if nobody here opposes the theme on
the other points.

Thanks for the helpful info, as always, Rahul!

~m