Thinking ahead: some FC7 ideas

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Oct 17 06:06:25 UTC 2006

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
>
> * Echo development icons is set to be the default.
>
> This I think is pending a lot of different factors so I don't know that
> we can assure this for FC7.

With the main factor being our contributions, I think we should soon
restart working on Echo, calling for contributors, spreading the word
about it and, why not, generating some hype.

> * New wallpaper, login screen derived from Mola/Mizmo ideas that needs
> to match Echo theme
>
> I don't think the theming work has to be made to match Echo. I think as
> long as it incorporates the Fedora blue colors they'll go well together
> just fine.

Indeed, blue is enough.

> I'm also not sure what ideas you're referring to :) We should probably
> resurrect the theming brainstorming page [1], update it for FC7 and add
> some of the things that have been proposed since then (I remember some
> cool things discussed on the list wrt FC7 a month or so ago.)

I think we should do a completely new look for FC7 and have the FC6, FC5
themes included as options. How this look would be? We can start right
now getting ideas and mockups.

> * Legacy artwork from Fedora Core 4 to Fedora Core 6 should be added for
> users looking to have them. Packaging them in Fedora Extras might be a
> good way.
>
> That's a cool idea, but is it then okay to have the release numbers in
> the artwork? (Would be weird to have FC6-specific artwork in FC7, for
> example?) Should we make it a policy to leave release numbers out?
> (makes it impossible then to come up with release-version specific
> artwork such as the c6re [2] logo.)

As said above, we should realize we can't please everybody with a
certain theme and include a few older themes as options.
Definitely those legacy themes should not have release numbers.

> * It appears Cairo engine is very stable. It will be be nice to for some
> people to generate an enhanced Clearlook theme for Fedora Core 7.
>
> Developing a theme is pretty difficult & time-consuming but if we can
> get some good mockups early on then it'd be easier to hit FC7.

I would stay close to the default GNOME theme but add some small tweaks,
like _slightly_ change the colors (the blue shade of the windows title)
to have at the same time something close to upstream (easy to maintain)
and a personalized look.

> * Since there is a lot KDE users, provide the artworks to smoothly blend
> with Gnome applications.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by smoothly blend with GNOME applications? Do
> you mean the theming work for GNOME should also be done for KDE? Is
> anybody on the list a KDE user or knowledgable about KDE such they could
> advise us on this?

AFAIK, FC7 has the target to "unleash KDE"
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UnleashKDE) so maybe we need some input
from those people. Sorry, I don't know anything else about KDE.

> * Making Anaconda look very pleasant without compromising the performance.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here - the colors available? The design of
> the screens? Some things there isn't a whole lot there can be done about
> because of technical limitations. If there are specific issues we want
> to target let's create a list and I can discuss it with Jeremy Katz and
> see how much is possible.

If we change the icon theme and GTK theme in the distro, of course
Anaconda will have to use those. Beside this and using the yet to be
defined graphic identity of FC7 in Anaconda banners, I don't see
anything else we should do.

--
nicu