FC 7 Theme - How to Play (was Re: Official Fedora Core 6 media labels)

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Tue Oct 17 16:24:03 UTC 2006

Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Jiri Jakub Masek wrote:
>> Hi, I read the messages, may be I didn't undestand them 100%, only
>> what I want to say is that I need for my work the list of specifications
>> for a set of graphics at the first. Yes, anything of list is done, but
>> I'm not sure if it is all.
>
> This is the list of specifications we have so far:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ThemingOverview
>
> My suggestion is to not get carried away and create a complete theme, do
> some sketches or mockups, present ideas to people, get feedback as early
> as possible, ask for help. Do not waste a lot of efforts without
> positive feedback from other people, we don't want you to get burned.

Yep, let me second that!

Anyone who wants to propose a design for the theme, come up with a name
for it and send a proposal to the list using the following email subject
format:

[FC7 theme proposal] (name of theme) Round 1

An example: "[FC7 theme proposal] Fedora DNA Round 1"

Attach/link to any sketches / mockups / etc you've come up with and a
write-up of the concept (don't spend too much time on them, we'll focus
on the concept first and then worry about the rendering.) You may also
submit artwork folks other than yourself have made for consideration, if
you get their permission and the artwork is openly-licensed (if you are
not sure please check!)

Here's an important guideline for the theme concepts:
- No release numbers!

For each proposal let's have a critique here on the list. When a
proposal receives 5 critiques the artist (or any other folks
participating on the list) should send a modified version in a fresh
thread ('[FC7 theme proposal] (name of theme) Round 2') Let's view this
as more of a photoshop tennis exercise - the theme shouldn't be any one
person's baby, it's a team effort. So remix away!

Here's the guidelines for critiques:
- Be very specific with your feedback. "I like it" is not acceptable. "I
really like how it makes the use of the Fedora blue color, it's bright
and conveys a positive feeling" is much better.
- For the 1st round of critiques, try not to focus on the rendering.
Focus the meat of the critique on the concept. You may also include
rendering critiques, but be sure to be specific! Statements like "it's
not polished" are too vague and won't help us polish it.
- Each critique must include at least one sketch/mockup modification, or
  a link/reference to another piece of work to help you explain your
critique. Visual feedback is important!
- If you've submitted a proposal you should submit a critique to
another, different proposal.

Our users view the distro as professional but the folks that work on it
view it as cutting-edge, so keep these in mind when coming up with a
theme and critiquing a theme.

I'm going to set a date of December 4 (that's a Monday) as the deadline
for all proposals.