Thinking ahead: some FC7 ideas - Initial concept

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Oct 19 11:07:37 UTC 2006

Le Jeu 19 octobre 2006 11:38, Luya Tshimbalanga a écrit :
> I decided to take some initiative to do a mockup for future Fedora
> desktop. Description available on :
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LuyaTshimbalanga/mockups
>
> You notice some texts are missing but the concept only gives some
> glimpses about the desktop. SVG version is available for modifications.
> Feedback and constructive critics are welcome.

Some feedback :

1. the blue used is much too agressive, while I agree we should move away
from gray-only the UI should stay unobstrusive, quiet and out-of-the-way.

2. the proposed title/menu bars are much too wasteful of space. It may
work for a simple app like nautilus but won't for dense ones like OO.o and
the Gimp. The design must accomodate the text the app displays at the size
the user chose, and not the reverse.

I'm sorry if I may sound harsh, but your proposal seems typical of the
screenshot-oriented design approch which fares so bad in real life. For
this kind of endeavour usability concerns should be the priority and art
take the back seat. Please do work through the usability SIG. A dull
concept won't kill us. A hard-to-use one certainly will.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot