GRUB - thinking about

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 13:02:17 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 07:53 +0200, Jiri Jakub Masek wrote:
> Hi people, this is what I want to be discussed (and may be that it
> isn't important):
>
> The first what I see when I start my computer is GRUB screen. It looks
> choppy and the reason isn't artistic but the image which size is
> 640x480pix resized to my monitor current resolution (1280x1024pix). I
> don't understand all the settings of Fedora Linux, so, I don't know if
> it could be set. I think that more and more people are only users like
> me now.
>
> So, I'm going to ask: is possibly to change the starting process to
> put noresized image in right bottom segment of screen as is? O.K.,
> it'll  be needed to change the specifications too, the background
> colors of screen and image to set to be the same.

Hi Jiri,

If I'm not mistaken, the GRUB screen is *extremely* limited at the
graphics it can display, because there's no really good video driver
running before your operating system boots.  Therefore the default
graphic has to be very limited in resolution and color palette.  Even if
your monitor is 1280x1024 (or higher), the computer usually can't
display anything above 640x480 or so at that point in the boot process,
so most monitors scale the image up to fill the screen, resulting in the
ugliness you're seeing.