GRUB - thinking about

Jiri Jakub Masek jjmasek at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 14:48:50 UTC 2006

Hi Paul, thank you.

So, if I understand it, there are two ways to make anything better. The
first is no GRUB background image, the second is to design that image
without gradients, with graphics objects with border lines in angles 0, 45,
90, 135 degrees for monitor with resolution ratio  4:3, universally only 0
and 90 degrees. It could be an appeal for graphics designers to try
anything.

JJM

2006/9/1, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>:

> On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 07:53 +0200, Jiri Jakub Masek wrote:
> > Hi people, this is what I want to be discussed (and may be that it
> > isn't important):
> >
> > The first what I see when I start my computer is GRUB screen. It looks
> > choppy and the reason isn't artistic but the image which size is
> > 640x480pix resized to my monitor current resolution (1280x1024pix). I
> > don't understand all the settings of Fedora Linux, so, I don't know if
> > it could be set. I think that more and more people are only users like
> > me now.
> >
> > So, I'm going to ask: is possibly to change the starting process to
> > put noresized image in right bottom segment of screen as is? O.K.,
> > it'll  be needed to change the specifications too, the background
> > colors of screen and image to set to be the same.
>
> Hi Jiri,
>
> If I'm not mistaken, the GRUB screen is *extremely* limited at the
> graphics it can display, because there's no really good video driver
> running before your operating system boots.  Therefore the default
> graphic has to be very limited in resolution and color palette.  Even if
> your monitor is 1280x1024 (or higher), the computer usually can't
> display anything above 640x480 or so at that point in the boot process,
> so most monitors scale the image up to fill the screen, resulting in the
> ugliness you're seeing.
>
> --
> Paul W. Frields, RHCE                          http://paul.frields.org/
>   gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233  5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
>        Fedora Project Board: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board
>     Fedora Docs Project:  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject

I'm still learning English...
Jiří Jakub Mašek - Jiri Jakub Masek