Help with FC6 Theme

Diana Fong dfong at redhat.com
Mon Sep 4 14:28:47 UTC 2006

Nicu Buculei wrote:
>> Diana Fong wrote:
>>>>
>>> the GRUB is 640x480 and 256 colors
>>
>> I admit of being lazy and not testing myself (it would require a
>> reboot of my computer :p ), the theming overview page list 256 colors
>> for GRUB and cites a source
>> (http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LG/current/jayanth.html) which source states
>> 14 colors.
>
> Just tested an 256 colors XPM (made it indexed with GIMP, 256 colors,
> no dithering) for GRUB splash: it half worked - the image is there,
> the shape is correct but it uses a wrong color palette, does anyone
> know what should I do to have the right colors?

Hmmm...I'm not really sure now either.  For FC5, I was given the spec of
256 colors.  But yes, I see the source link and it says 14.  Though I'm
a bit wary because that has a submission date of Nov. 7, 2003...Perhaps
the link was only to provide directions on customizing the GRUB and the
actual detail of how many colors has changed?

I've tried to ask a couple of people online but the ones that work with
the GRUB are not around.  It's a long weekend for us working in the US
so they might be on vacation...but I'll continue to look and ask when I
see someone that knows.

Diana