Fedora Core/Extras 6CD/DVD cover art

Jordan jordan at jdnash.org
Sat Sep 9 04:36:53 UTC 2006

That looks really good. Assuming -- probably incorrectly -- that you --
or someone else -- are designing for the movie-type DVD case, is there
any chance you could go with a 3D perspective on the helix? In other
words, show the same helix from 3 different views on the front, side,
and back. I think it would look really cool. Of course, I'm too lazy to
do it myself, but if someone more skilled than me could do it... -
Jordan ---------------- Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 18:08:16 -0400 From:
M?ir?n Duffy <duffy at redhat.com> Subject: Re: Fedora Core/Extras 6CD/DVD
cover art To: "Discussions about the artwork included with Fedora,
including icons, themes, and wallpapers." <fedora-art-list at redhat.com>
charset="iso-8859-15" Thomas Canniot wrote:

> > After discussing on IRC with Diana, we came to conclusion for the
> > following deadline :
> >
> > september 25th : deadline for submission
> > 25 to 29th september : finalisation of the suggested artwork
> >
> > I have to give the art team the following elements :
> >
> >  * How a gradient it managed by the manufacturer ?

I've worked with various printers before I've never had issues getting
gradients printed. A gradient with  one color to transparency is
considered 1 color. A gradient from one color to another is considered 2
colors.

The above is, of course, on paper. I don't know about printing on DVDs
but I'd imagine it's similar.

> >  * It is considered as a 2 colors artwork or not ?
> >  * Has the printer a template ?
> >  * What kind of file they would like to have ?
> >  * If it is possible to print artworks as well on paper cases.

The current svg on the website is AFAIK the template that was used to
print on a paperboard DVD slipcase.

I played around a bit in inkscape - attaching the results, anyone can
feel free to play with it.