DNA theme for new FC6 browser splash page

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Tue Sep 19 14:45:06 UTC 2006

Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> O/H Máirín Duffy έγραψε:
>> So I'm not really sure how much leeway we have with the logo guidelines
>> at all. Since it's still intellectually the property of Red Hat and by
>> using it we are bound to the guidelines we agreed to when we received
>> the files, we really can't change the guidelines.
>
> I think the logo is just fine. Guidelines should be for keeping things under
> control, not stifling innovation.

Right, but guidelines are also for making sure that the logo, including
the logotype and logomark, are defensible as trademarked. See, the logo
was trademarked as described in the guidelines, so if we start using it
outside those guidelines we risk losing the trademark which right now
Red Hat would like to protect. This is why we require that every person
who would like to use the logo artwork requests it from
logo at fedoraproject.org, stating what they'd like to use it for, and
agreeing to those guidelines.

When you make modifications such as the white outline, you are changing
the logo (1) against the guidelines, (2) significantly enough that
someone could decide to use that version of the logo and threaten the
trademark on the logo such that it is indefensible. That's why the logo
guidelines exist.  I understand this sounds stupid (and I think most if
not all of the intersections of law and art are stupid) but that is the
way things are so we have to deal with it in order to protect our logo.

So, I strongly recommend removing the white outline on the Fedora logomark.

> Besides, things aren't just black and white, it's not like either you follow or
> break the rules. The only thing that diverges from the guidelines is the white
> outline of the circle.

Right, so would you be willing to consider removing it? The white
outline is the only thing I am concerned about.

> I would be really disappointed of someone jumped out and argued that those rules
> are 100% rigid, even for inside-Fedora projects.

That it is an inside-Fedora project exacerbates the problem, since it
seems the logo variation has been officially sanctioned (which it has
not) and others may use it.

> Instead of this, I would prefer
> something like "So, fedora-artwork concluded that the current guidelines don't
> contrast well with dark backgrounds. Since this logo is a fedora-artwork
> approved solution, we'll incorporate this into the guidelines".

I would not say that the white outline is a fedora-artwork approved
solution at this point. I think this is still under discussion.

I can try to contact people within Red Hat to see if the white outline
variation is OK or not, but I think it would be far easier to just
remove it.