New icons draft: menu editor, package manager (Pirut)

Luya Tshimbalanga luya_tfz at thefinalzone.com
Wed Apr 4 08:19:54 UTC 2007

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Mer 4 avril 2007 08:45, Luya Tshimbalanga a écrit :
>
>> Just made a quick icons for menu editor and package manager based on
>> current Echo version. In case of 24x24, they will be retouched with
>> Gimp. More icons will come.
>>

> Some remarks (I know I'm a pest):

Better get a remarks so it will be possible to track many issues as
possible and fix as we can =)

> 1. I don't like the menu editor icon at all. If you don't know it's a menu
> editor, you won't guess : the menu part is difficult to distinguish, and
> the pen is associated with writing text, not composing menus. I'd rework
> the menu bit and remove the pen. Probably taking something like the
> classic "add line in a table" icon as base. Right now at fist sight it
> looks like yet another office/text editor icon.

It was an attempt to reproduce the current menu-editor icons available
on FC6.
I will rework it.

> Generally speaking the isometric perspective echo chose makes this kind of
> icon difficult to create, since it reduces the effective space and slants
> common symbols. It works with 3d objects but not with 2d objects and
> pictograms
>
> (Note: I'm typically using >= 100 dpi screens, and they'll only get more
> common now Vista lifted the old 96dpi windows resolution clamping. That
> means I may see have somewhat smaller pixels than you, with smaller icons)

Ah ah. you use Microsoft Vista reference. =-O
I will take account about the dpi in the future.

> 2. I'd remove the CD & gray box on the second one (no idea if it's
> supposed to be a PC tower case or a CD+manual box). The main
> installation/update method is network nowadays, and almost no one gets his
> Linux software in cardboard boxes. Maybe a pile of greyed-out closed
> packages with one colorful open package in the foreground would work
> better.

I am considering using a Globe instead of CD. And yes, the grey box is a
PC tower. Be in mind it is just a draft.

Luya