Including scalable icons to improve size coverage

Luya Tshimbalanga luya_tfz at thefinalzone.com
Tue Apr 17 06:19:20 UTC 2007

Quoting Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com>:

> Today I looked at shipping svgs with echo-icon-theme to improve the
> coverage and avoid size gaps where we don't have hand-tuned small sizes
> yet.

Great. That should reduce some tasks until these svgs icons have their own png
small size. I am also considering some of them (especially the 24x24 who are
identical to their larger formats).

> Unfortunately, doing this blows up the size of the tarball to 70M (after
> bzipping !). Looking at some of the large (>500k) icons, I notice a
> couple of things:
>
> a) they seem to mostly be created with Illustrator
>
> b) they include a jpeg thumbnail

Surprising. Maybe converting them using Gimp should do the trick.

> c) they include a huge binary chunk called
>    <i:pgf id="adobe_illustrator_pgf">

Which explains longer loading page.

--
Luya Tshimbalanga