Cleaning svg icons report

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Apr 22 19:08:34 UTC 2007

Le samedi 21 avril 2007 à 12:40 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga a écrit :
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > Do you intend to scrub the svg files using the filter I posted
> > yesterday ? Your files are still full of adobe and inkscape-specific
> > annotations (one pathological file system-software-updateS.svg shrinks
> > from 476 KiB to 21 KiB when filtered)
> >

> I tested your script in combination of charlies's trim_svg script. The
> size of pathological svg files are dramatically shrinked. Using
> system-software-updateS.svg as example, the size is now 18 KiB.

Some more thoughts

A. I'd be real surprised if you find a file where
trim_svg + svg-cleanup.xsl ≠ svg-cleanup.xsl alone
(if you find one send it to me I'd like to know what I missed)

B. svg-cleanup.xsl will kill *every* single tool-specific extension, so
we'll avoid the effect where a tool restarts where it left out ignoring
changes done in another tool, but if you're editing a file in a single
app you definitely want to do the cleanup last. It may remove info that
helps your tool

C. I could probably trim the files more by removing XML indenting, but I
don't think the wins are worth having files one can't easily inspect in
a text editor.

D. I'd feel better if the result was actually validated against XML
schemas, we probably need to agree on a svg schema version and package
it like it's done for docbook.

E. if someone feels like it, the stylesheet could probably be enhanced
to do automatic re-scaling

Also interested people can check the filter results by :
   a. normalising input and output file with xmllint --format
   b. comparing the result files with meld
   (more complete tools like eclipse with WTP extension will to it
automatically, and my xslt does xmllint --format automatically so
there's no need to reformat its output)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot