[Echo icons] Icons blurry in the gnome menus

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Aug 10 19:48:09 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 21:23 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed it a little while ago but with new batch of icons it became
> more visible. The icons sizes on the gnome menus aren't obviously the
> same we have in the Echo icon set, so the icons are resized and as a
> result look a bit blurry. It's the same with Bluecurve, on the contrary
> Mist provide right sizes for it. I can think of these possible solutions
> to this problem:
>
> 1. patch gnome menus to use 24x24 sized icons
> 2. create new size set for echo icons (probably 22x22)
> 3. include svgs in the echo icon package
> 4. both 2. and 3.
>
> There may be more. What do you think? Please note that it's mostly an
> issue for icons which have 24x24 size variant. Those that are bigger are
> usually resized better. I know we most likely won't fix this issue until
> Fedora 8, but IMHO we ought to fix it.

Icon sizes are themable in GTK+. To experiment, you can simply add

gtk-icon-sizes="panel-foobar=20,20:panel-menu=22,22:gtk-dnd=32,32:gtk-menu=16,16:gtk-large-toolbar=24,24:gtk-small-toolbar=18,18:gtk-button=20,20:gtk-dialog=48,48"

to your ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and start changing this sizes (the values above are
the defaults). panel-foobar is the size for the icon in the menubar.

Note that the panel doesn't pick up new sizes until you restart it.

You should make sure that the Nodoka gtkrc sets the icon sizes to
something that works well for whatever icon theme we end up making the
default.

Matthias