Do we need another Echo?

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Thu Aug 16 13:58:08 UTC 2007

Martin Sourada wrote:

> What's wrong with isometric icons? That's one of the things I really
> miss in tango. I think we should continue with the Echo effort, but it

One problem with isometric icons is that they are harder to create and
as a consequence not so many people will contribute to the development.
But it you are one of the main icon designers and you like drawing in
this perspective, I say "more power to you!"
Another problem with isometric icons is they don't work well at smaller
size. So you will need two versions: isometric for large icons and
top-down for small icons and will wave to work a lot more. (Of course,
Tangoicons have also different icons for small and large size, but they
use similar perspective, so it a bit easier).

> would be perhaps good to base them more on tango - i.e. use our styling
> and perspective, but mostly tango or gnome shapes. The echo icons are
> great so far, I even heard an opinion that they are better then oxygen
> icons, they have touch of Fedora and there would me many people
> disappointed if we stopped the effort.
>
> I think there is nothing wrong about working on our own project

+1
Even if I am not a fan of Echo and contributed only very few icons to
the collection, my opinion is: if you have fun working on Echo, then
work on it, you have my support.