[SPAM:1.4] Echo media icons and colour question

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Sun Aug 26 22:40:11 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 00:15 +0200, Charlie Brej wrote:
> I reworked the media icons and added 22x22 and 16x16 versions. I've put them up
> at: http://home.brej.org/Echo/

Nice, some comments:

The icons seems not-antialiased. It is not mentioned in guidelines (yet)
but each icon is supposed to be antialiased. This can be easily achieved
with creating the icon in inkscape and then export it to png (if
antialiasing is still not enough, finalise it with gimp, e.g. export
with bigger size and then play with blur and resize in gimp). Also,
having a svg version of all icon sizes is nice, even though the svgs
will not be in the main package, it makes maintenance (and derivatives)
easier.

Make the outline softer, it contrasts too much with the white
background. If #364e59 is too dark, use slightly brighter.

Make the gradient softer. The transition to pure white seems too strong.

> Now the question. When making the icons I followed the guidelines and used the
> "#00BBFF Echo Main" blue for the main blue. Most blue action icons use "#19AEFF"
> instead which isn't in the colour palette. There is little visible difference
> but I would like to make sure which is the correct colour. If #00BBFF is the
> right one then I can go through and change the gradients on the SVGs and correct
> the other action icons with the right colour as I add lighting/shadows.

Oh, you are not tied to the very colours in the guidelines. They are
basic ones, used colours might slightly differ in order to look better.
Quoting the tango guidelines:

> The common practice when drawing icons is to use the palette as a
> base, applying it on large areas. Shading with gradients, creating
> highlight and shadows by changing value, and minor changes of
> saturation are also allowed and endorsed. Colors do not have to come
> exclusively from this set, as additional colors may be used. Starting
> from the base color and changing value, saturation or even hue
> slightly gives more consistant results that starting from arbitrary
> colors.

So I'd suggest to use whatever you think is better :)