F8 artwork update

Máirí­n Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Tue Aug 28 05:30:40 UTC 2007

Hey folks,

So a little bit of news on the Fedora 8 artwork front. First, since we
had the most 'votes' on list for Infinity and since Ben simply ran out
of time this go-round [1], it seems to make sense to go with Infinity
especially since we are so short on time (tomorrow, er it's late...
today is the code freeze for F8 test 2.)

We started working on getting artwork checked in for test 2. Tonight,
the firstboot banner & splash, the grub splash, and the new RHGB theme
got checked in. Tomorrow (er... later today lol) I'm going to work on
getting the wallpaper, syslinux, and anaconda artwork checked in.

The only absolutely essential artwork we do not have checked in or ready
to check in for F8 test 2 is GDM. I'm not sure what to do about it; Avio
[2] looks nice - what do you think if we used that with a theme-specific
background? Does anybody have any other ideas for GDM? As an absolute
fallback we can go with the current one and simply replace the Flying
High background as Nicu suggested. It doesn't look bad, but I'd like to
see something different if we can do it. If anybody has a mockup I can
implement it so we're not bound to use something that's already been
implemented.

Other stuff that's not super essential but nice-to-have and hopefully
we'll have ready for test 3:

- gnome splash
- kde splash
- multi-colored multiple backgrounds for the time-of-day feature mclasen
mentioned earlier. (actually I have some prepared already so if I have
some time tomorrow I'll see if I can get any of those in)

Beyond this, there's still a lot of work to do so if anyone is
interested in working on any of the following (or anything above for
that matter) please feel free to jump in! :)

- Round 4:
default firefox theme - banner / layout - every time someone opens up
firefox in Fedora 8 they will see this page!

default httpd 'welcome to your fedora webserver' page - every time
someone starts up a Fedora httpd webserver for the first time this will
be the page their system serves up.

- Round 5:
F8 marketing materials discussion with fedora-marketing-list... come up
with a slogan for our new theme, and promotional graphic ideas, maybe
brainstorm what's needed for the promotional kit (see round 7)

- Round 6:
finalize artwork/design for F8 DVD/CD labels and sleeves. These will be
printed up professionally and will be available at conferences likely
worldwide. They also may be used by magazines that distribute Fedora 8.
So if you want to learn about designing DVD/CD labels for professional
screenprinting (I'm thinking this time let's do something cool with
leaving parts of the design blank for the silver of the disc to show
through), or if you'd rather come up with a nice logo Fedora users
everywhere can print out on an inkjet printer, help out with this one :)

- Round 7:
release promo kit with nicely-designed PDF release notes for handing out
at conferences, etc (good excuse to try out Scribus!!)

- Round 8: finalize www.fedoraproject.org promotional materials for F8
launch

~m

[1] (Ben, we can resurrect Abstract for F9 if you want to propose it
again... and feel free to jump in on the other rounds for F8 if/when
you're less busy!)

[2] http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=37395