animated backgrounds

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Aug 29 10:04:53 UTC 2007

Martin Sourada wrote:

> But the transitions would be more jumpy. I am now making some changes to
> the wallpapers Mo created. I picked what I thought best for 00am, 04am,
> 06am, 09am, 00pm, 03pm, 06pm and 09pm (i.e. 00am midnight, 06am dawn,
> 00pm noon, 06pm dusk and the rest is somewhere in between) and am doing
> now the hours between by transitioning them in gimp - I think it is good
> to have one wallpaper per hour, but as a start what you suggested seems
> enough, but making the transitions in gimp is less CPU intensive than
> letting the gnome do it for you.

Well, I am not that thrilled about the background reflecting the color
ot the sky and changing it often, but I have a related long-term idea:
if/when we will have a mascot, have the wallpaper showing the mascot in
some action reflecting the current time: at night he will sleep (or will
be very tired, with big, red eyes), at lunch time he will be eating, in
the morning be upset for having to wake-up and so on (that would look
marvelous with a cron-like config, to keep track of week days, alternate
schedule for week-ends etc.)

Absolute crack: it may take the date from something like the about-me
applet and show something special on your birth day.