KDE: Default Style

Laith Juwaidah ljuwaida at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 4 16:01:33 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 04 December 2007 14:45:53 Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 10:26 +0100, Laith Juwaidah wrote:
> > -1
> >
> > I don't think they should be identical. Let's face it! KDE has better
> > looks than GNOME, and that was one of the reasons why I am using KDE,
>
> Let's face the fact that this is quite subjective. The default KDE look
> seems to me like unfinished work, while the default GNOME look
> (Clearlooks) is polished and professional. One of the reasons I don't
> use KDE is that it looked ugly to me with every theme I tried. KDE4
> seems to be getting better, we'll see...

I'm not talking about the default theme, I remeber when I first tried Linux,
it was SuSE Enterprise Linux Desktop (10 I guess), it had both GNOME and KDE
installed but the default desktop environment was GNOME, I did't know Linux
had more than one desktop environment and all that, so I just kept using
GNOME, I tried to change the way it looks, but... The only one that I found I
liked was Industrial, then, I found the miracle of KDE, I tried it and I had
much more choices by default, and all of them look better than GNOME's, well,
other than redmonde :P

> >  now that KDE4 is on the way, it will have even more power, and I
> > really don't think we should take that away from KDE users just
> > because GNOME can't do that!
>
> Default theme is not about power. It is about clean a professional look.
> Eyecandy like animations, reflections, ... sure does more harm than
> good. Try to use one theme for several years. With most of the themes
> out in the wild you'll get bored of them after few months, while
> Clearlooks is the exact opposite, and I hope Nodoka is going to be same
> in that way.

I agree with you that a theme gets boring after a while (I pitty windows
users :P) but I totally disagree when it comes to clearlooks, it's just
another theme, people will get bored of it after a while.

Plus, the default theme is not the way you measure how powerful a desktop
environment is, when it comes to graphics, it's about what the comunity can
create for it using whatever is provided to them by the developers.

I'm not here to criticise GNOME, all I'm saying is that when it comes to
decorations, KDE can do more.

Cheers!

> > Cheers!
> >
> > --