An Idea about branding the Firefox and Thunderbird apps for F9

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 22:33:39 UTC 2007

On Dec 30, 2007 8:19 AM, Rogue <roguexz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was just toying around with the Splash![1] addon for mozilla apps and
> I believe we can leverage the same for branding the applications, via a
> custom Fedora centric splash screen.
>
> What do you folks think about it?

First I very much seriously doubt that you'd get the necessary buy in
from the mozilla maintainers to add a splash screen by default.  So
its probably a non-starter.

Beyond that, I don't see the point of adding a splash screen to any
mozilla/xulrunner based application.. or any application for that
matter... just for a chance to add branding. Do we really want to
waste the user's time by popping up what are essentially Fedora
advertisement splash screens that serve no useful purpose? Why would
we ever want to add a splash screen? Aren't splash screens there just
to give you some feedback when a program is taking 'too long' to load?

Beyond that, I don't think its a good idea to add branding to
individual applications even when they have default splash screens...
open office for example.

I understand having fedora branding at boot up
I understand having fedora branding at the login screen
I understand having fedora branding during the default login splash
screen to get to your desktop.

But once we are in the desktop we already have fedora branding in the
default desktop configuration as part of the menu layout.  I don't see
a reason to be in you face about additional branding by adding
additional application specific graphics.

We are trying to keep the fedora branding elements separate from the
actual applications such that derivative distributions can easily
replace the branding.  Sticking additional branding into optional
application splash screens for individual application just complicates
the packaging even more.

-jef