Unfavorable Distro-Watch Report

Luya Tshimbalanga luya_tfz at thefinalzone.com
Tue Feb 6 07:22:20 UTC 2007

Quoting Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro>:

> Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> >

> Of course they do, *any* change is a plus, Bluecurve is really showing
> its age. It was nice and served us well but we should put it to rest at
> some point.

So can we help Bluecurve to gracefully retire by working altogether even though
we cannot reach IRC. How about any Artwork team stand up?

> To my shame, I worked only on very few icons.

At least you were honest,

> A lot of things are needed:
> - clear guidelines: developing Echo is hard, icons have a certain
> perspective, complex shapes, surfaces are filled with gradients, objects
> have lighting and shadows and all those are *not* documented, so for a
> new icon you have to study the other and guess. For example I can't
> submit an Echo color palette upstream to Inkscape because there is no
> one (but they have a Tango palette).
> - no one is pushing Echo. Look at Tango Fridays: one day each week they
> get together and create icons. Pushing also means advertise: blog about
> the theme development, post on forums, write on the mailing list. And
> submit on your own icons to upstream applications, just as Tango people do.
> - as I already said, creating Echo icons is not easy so new contributors
> with little experience will need advices, help and guidance, otherwise
> the number of contributors will remain small.
> - indeed, we have the sources as SVG, but have you looked at the source
> of the majority of icons? Is horrible and bloated, made with Adobe
> Illustrator, so the first thing when you work on a derivative is to
> clean the initial icon.
> With all those said and few other I missed at the moment I personally do
> not have big faith in Echo.

So it will take someone to etablish a strong strategy. Echo Guidelines [1] is
available for your information.

> Too bad that we make good people turn away when exactly the opposite is
> needed.

Mostly due the inertia on Artwork team. Can we show we can do less talk more
action?

[1]http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/EchoIconGuidelines

--
Luya Tshimbalanga