A sad day for Fedora, A disappointment for Open Source

Joachim Frieben jfrieben at gmx.de
Wed Feb 14 09:10:49 UTC 2007

> This is truly a sad day for Fedora and a disappointment for the
> community of Open Source.
>
> If Fedora did not want our help simply state it, close down the list
> server, call it good. Diana certainly has the skill and talent to do the
> artwork and obviously doesn't need our help.
>
> Letting this sham go on for months while folks invest their time and
> honest effort is completely contrary to the spirit of open source.
>
> To add insult to injury all of the time we are working on artwork Fedora
> launches "echo" in RC1 although the decision on artwork is pending and
> many would agree the "echo" project is incomplete and not tested.
>
> It sounds to me there are personal agendas playing out and those agendas
> have nothing to do with open source and the community of fedora.
>
> At this point the only thing left to do is make up excuses and assign
> blame.
>
> Pity,
>
> John

>From the user's point of view, this is good news. It's a simple fact that computer geeks are rarely competent when it comes to graphics design and artwork. The horrible look of "community" distros like "Debian" is the living proof for this observation whereas "OpenSUSE" or "Fedora" are an order of magnitude ahead [ok, your designs are not that bad but still fairly amateurish].
Some polish by a graphics professional was really needed, and I am glad to hear that Diana whose work has always been extremely well done is going to give a final touch to the artwork for "F7".
Since it will be apparently based on your "Flying high" theme you should be rather pleased about this development, shouldn't you? An overhaul of your submissions should not be considered personally offending.
Personally, I would have gone for "Borealis" but somehow a decision had to be made ..
And regarding the "Echo" icon theme, I do not see any interference with the  the remaining artwork. They are rather independent from each other.