A sad day for Fedora, A disappointment for Open Source

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Feb 14 09:49:48 UTC 2007

Joachim Frieben wrote:

>From the user's point of view, this is good news. It's a simple fact that computer geeks are rarely competent when it comes to graphics design and artwork. The horrible look of "community" distros like "Debian" is the living proof for this observation whereas "OpenSUSE" or "Fedora" are an order of magnitude ahead [ok, your designs are not that bad but still fairly amateurish].

Fedora is claimed also to be a "community" project. If it is not, then
we should just declare this mailing list and the Art project closed and
stop using them.And just sit back and each 6 months when a new version
is released act as fanboys and worship the great powers that brought us
the graphics (you know, just like in the Windows or Mac world).

> Since it will be apparently based on your "Flying high" theme you should be rather pleased about this development, shouldn't you? An overhaul of your submissions should not be considered personally offending.

I think John is upset because he was left to work and work on his own
design and nobody told him this is useless, even if people had known for
weeks how things are going.

It seems the other people who proposed themes just felt the direction of
the wind and lowered the priority of Fedora Art on their work queue.

I avoided to talk about this as I don't want to be categorized as a FUD
spreader and flamewar igniter.

> And regarding the "Echo" icon theme, I do not see any interference with the  the remaining artwork. They are rather independent from each other.

The link between the desktop theme and the icon theme is indeed very
loose: an icon theme is a huge work for one single full-time developer,
so without help from the larger community the job may get never done.
And with an alienated community this help can be lost.

--
nicu