Inconsistency in using + (plus) or * (star) emblems in echo icons?

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Thu Feb 15 18:34:04 UTC 2007

I think there is some inconsistency in using pluses and stars in echo
icons, or at least I don't understand the philosophy behind. Here are
listed currently problematic icons:

with plus:
address-book-new
appointment-new
contact-new
mail-message-new

with blue star:
document-new
mail-mark-unread
window-new

with yellow star:
appointment-soon

I would suggest to change the emblem in document-new and window-new to
plus and leave star only for mail-mark-unread and appointment-soon. And
a yellow star is IMHO better than a blue one so I would change its color
in mail-mark-unread to yellow (as in appointment-soon). It would make
the icon more distinguishable from mail-message-new which is the same
only with plus instead of star. Maybe some rule about using pluses and
stars in icons should be made? Like that plus is used for action icons
symbolising creating somethink new by user (you create it by clicking on
a button with such icon; usually ends with "-new") and star in cases
like marking unread message - something that already is new or nearly
has its time like in appointment-soon, more generaly it symbolizes state
of being (even if after action) rather than the action of making it so.

Regards,
Martin Sourada