go-home echo icon concept

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Fri Feb 16 21:28:16 UTC 2007

Teoretically, from the position of the imaginary light source we might
guess, that it is time around noon. So the shadows - epsecially their
opacity should reflect this. Thus they should not be very dark. Next, I
would pick the one of the more"massive" icons (because it would cast
more shadow than a smaller one) and choose the base values for it. The
darkest would be nearest the place where the icon touches the imaginary
ground. For that purpose, I think, could serve e.g. 'video-display'. But
how to chose the best value for that particular icon? I think we could
try different values of opacity and brightness (for start grey scale
would serve well) against different backrounds and pick up that which
works nicest with most of them - this should be the one that resembles
most the behaviour of real shadow IMO. Than we should decide how much of
the shape of the icon we want to save in its shadow. Looking at the
icons I would suppose that only simplified outline. Finally I would
choose how blurry we wont it to be - that has a lot to do with the shape
preservation I think. In other cases the shadow should be more
transparent and more blurry, but not much; the amount I would leave on
artists. The colouring I would leave as it is suggested on wiki.

I think, if we start with dark-grey or black(ish) colour values (aka
$666666 and $333333) for the brightness and pick the desired opacity for
them it might be the best, since these are on Echo Icon Pallette. Also
the decision would thus simplify to choosing just one out of two colours
and opacity for darkest shadow.