Including artwork from older releases

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Feb 26 09:33:42 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Since the plan is to refresh the desktop theme for every release, we
> would invariably have folks who like the artwork in one of the previous
> releases better than the current one. Since we already have a rule about
> not including version numbers in the current release, can we continue to
> including the older themes in subsequent three releases or something
> like that?

I used to support this idea of including graphics for a few older releases.
Now with the talk about alternate theming from the community, I think
graphics from old releases can be on equal footing with theme packs from
the community: in extra packages not installed by default but easy to
install.

> The only problem with this is that rhgb is not easily themeable but
> hopefully we are getting rid of that soon enough to not worry about it.

As I see, it make sense to include alternate graphics where the user can
easily change them (desktop, GDM).
Where is not so easy (RHGB, GRUB) I see two ways:
- do not provide alternate graphics for these;
- provide a rpm to change the *entire* theming.

--
nicu