artTeam Home Page Mockup

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Feb 28 15:14:13 UTC 2007

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>> I think a package for an alternate theme should change: GRUB splash,
>> RHGB screen, GDM theme, wallpaper. Maybe even the screensaver graphic,
>> but I am not sure about that.
>
> Please don't. This is the kind of heavy-handed intervention that makes
> users mad.

But only it the user install the rpm by himself. Otherwise why use rpm
at all? Just provide a gallery with wallpapers and we are set.

> What you can do is create aliases with names like "default" and change
> what they point at from release to release. Meaning that users who
> accepted to use distro defaults will get the changes, and others won't
> have their loved custom setup stepped on.
>
> For example I used DNA wallpaper and it changed to balloons recently. I
> could get mad - I didn't select "default wallpaper" in the list but "DNA
> wallpaper", it shouldn't have changed at the whim of the Desktop team.

What other way to you see to provide alternate graphics for GRUB and RHGB?
Those can be changed only by overwriting the default and making GDM and
wallpaper fit may be seen as a move for consistency.
Remember, this is about a package the user consciously select and install.

--
nicu