Flying High with Fedora 7

Uno Engborg uno at webworks.se
Sat Feb 3 15:18:35 UTC 2007

John Baer wrote:
> All,
>
> Still trying to stay 3-D and bold, I posted a new wallpaper with no
> monolith for your consideration. Let me know your thoughts and thank you
> for your comments.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/FC7Themes/Fc7ThemeProposalFlyingHighRound2

Well, at least my friends doesn't refer to it as the gravestone theme
anymore. However, now the blue blowtorch flame like thing in the center
gets a bit too dominating, at least at the bottom close to the cloud
where it almost looks like a solid blue body.

Another thing, the image is very static (with or without monolith). You
divide the screen equally in a right and a left part. If we expect users
to use whatever artifacts we put in the background as landmarks for
finding icons, that would be easier if we had a slight asymmetry.
This is how our brain works, and probably why you often see golden cut
size relations in art.
A slight asymmetry often feels  more dynamic and interesting.

I would also suggest making the balloons a bit larger. That way icons
will be easier to spot.  They would also be large enough to provide
landmarks for navigation instead of the blue flame, in case you removed it.

Another suggestion is to change the places of the  balloons, so that the
lower balloon is  centered (with respect to left/right axis) somewhere
close to the clouds , where the flame is now.   That way you would avoid
the exact divide in two equal left and right side of the screen.  I
would also suggest that you flip the position of the balloons so that
the upper balloon is the rightmost one. That way it would probably also
look better together with the normal computer  and trash icons you
normally have to the left side of the screen. In other words the screen
image including standard icons would look more balanced.

If you decide to keep the flame, does it have to go up at 90 degree
angle to the clouds?
By tilting it a little e.g. to the right, you would get a more dynamic
looking image, that
looked less like the start of a nuclear attack. By placing one balloon
in front of the flame
and one behind it you could increase the sense of depth in the image.

Regards
Uno Engborg