go-home echo icon concept

Uno Engborg uno at webworks.se
Thu Feb 15 13:58:02 UTC 2007

Martin Sourada skrev:
> Thanks for your critics and suggestion. I take a look at it, as you
> sugested, and two or three ideas came to my mind - and result are four
> slightly different icons. First idea is to take the house part of the
> user-home icon alone and change its perspective, second is to take
> both the folder and house and change its perspective and third idea is
> to add an arrow to it to signalize action. I attach pngs only, but if
> you want I can also supply svgs. And there are no shadows yet.
>
> Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
>> Quoting Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at seznam.cz>:
>>

>>> Hi again,
>>>
>>> I made the icons for 16x16, 24x24 and 48x48 sizes and tried to follow
>>> echo guidlines. I attach all. What do you think?
>>>

>> This go-home icon looks odd because it looks out of place in echo
>> world. It will
>> on kids theme IMHO.
>> I suggest to take a look on user-home icon from echo so you can get
>> some ideas.

I'm not quite sure if I have gotten this right. Are all the above icons
supposed to mean the same thing?

If so I would go for the house silhouette alone, without a folder. It
takes much more brain processing power to recognize a house on a folder
than just a plain house shape. Shapes
are among the things we recognize very quickly. The house icon is the
icon that has the most uniqueness in shape of the ones that you suggested.

Another thing, the arrow somehow indicates a directional move, i.e. go
back to home or go forward to home. Does this really make sense in the
application? I would think that the direction from where you get to home
is irrellevant in most cases. so we should not invite the user to think
in terms of back and  forward. So I suggest you leave out the arrow or
make it point to the house in e.g. 45 degree angle. That way you could
indicate move without involving allready taken concepts like "back",
"forward", "up", "down" that is used elsewhere.  Leaving out the arrow
is probably the best option as it makes the icon less complicated, so
the plain blue house is the best alternative in my oppinion.

Regards
Uno Engborg