go-home echo icon concept

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Thu Feb 15 14:27:32 UTC 2007

Uno Engborg wrote:
> I'm not quite sure if I have gotten this right. Are all the above
> icons supposed to mean the same thing?
Yes, you got it right, all the four icons are supposed to mean the same
thing.
> If so I would go for the house silhouette alone, without a folder. It
> takes much more brain processing power to recognize a house on a
> folder than just a plain house shape. Shapes
> are among the things we recognize very quickly. The house icon is the
> icon that has the most uniqueness in shape of the ones that you
> suggested.
My personal opinion is that the ones with the folder looks better, but I
must also agree with you, that the ones without the folder are easier
recognized. Maybe the one with the folder could be used for large size
and the one without the folder for small size?
> Another thing, the arrow somehow indicates a directional move, i.e. go
> back to home or go forward to home. Does this really make sense in the
> application? I would think that the direction from where you get to
> home is irrellevant in most cases. so we should not invite the user to
> think
> in terms of back and  forward. So I suggest you leave out the arrow or
> make it point to the house in e.g. 45 degree angle. That way you could
> indicate move without involving allready taken concepts like "back",
> "forward", "up", "down" that is used elsewhere.  Leaving out the arrow
> is probably the best option as it makes the icon less complicated, so
> the plain blue house is the best alternative in my oppinion.
Hmm... I didn't reailze that. Just placed the arrow where it fitted best
and pointed it to doors (likewise it is done in application-exit icon
from Mola). Anyway, it was just an idea, it can be left out if it does
not fit well with it.

Thanks for your comments :-)

Regards,
Martin Sourada