Inconsistency in using + (plus) or * (star) emblems in echo icons?

Diana Fong dfong at redhat.com
Thu Feb 15 20:44:00 UTC 2007

Martin Sourada wrote:
> Thanks for clarification. But then I think mail-mark-unread does not
> fall to any of the groups. Also I tend to think that the difference
> between creating new document and creating new mail message is very
> subtle, but I am quite sattisfied with this division. I think it would
> be good to mention this divison in Echo Icon Guidelines, since some
> icons which could use it, like panel-new (though not listed in Echo
> development wiki), still awaits creating and we could thus prevent
> future confusion.
>
> Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
>> Plus means add something.
>>   Blue star means create a new item/object.
>>   Yellow star means planning a future plan.

Ah, I had sent the previous email just prior to receiving these in my
inbox.

I really like the simplicity and clarity of having just two types of
emblems (+ and *) as described by Martin.  His re-categorization of the
icons also work well within the rules stated.  I'd like for us to adopt
this and post it as part of the guidelines.

Luya just signed on to #fedora-art and is also in support of this, with
the additional vote of "a yellow star instead of blue is better
usability side."

Martin et al,  are you ok with this?  Do you have access to updating the
guidelines wiki?

Diana Fong
---
Red Hat