Early impressions of Default artwork

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Feb 16 12:17:31 UTC 2007

John Baer wrote:

> My first question is one of theme design. In my mind I view a theme as a
> story board. The images are linked, but they are different. Your
> approach seems to be one of image re-use. I noticed the wallpaper image
> is the same as the gdm login background. The balloon behind the clouds
> image is used in many of the screens. In FC6 I saw the same scenario and
> I assumed it was because of the time constraint.

I would guess this was intentional, your idea of a story board is
somewhat original, I don't think I saw it in another operating system.
Original does not meant bad, it may be a good idea.

> Until I can test the GRUB images I always worry about quality. IMO the
> FC6 grub image does not display well (very grainy) and my submission was
> an attempt to minimize this. There is also the issue of black screen,
> blue screen, black screen, blue screen. IMO the current boot process
> looks choppy as a result.

Open the PNG with GIMP, save as xpm.gz, test it and tell us if is too
grainy or not :p

Personally I would like the GRUB image to have the same blue as the rest
of the graphics (the blue background of RHGB) . I understand it can't be
identical due to technical constraints (14 colors), but it may be as
close as possible.

> The first boot screen looks very similar to the FC6 screen. I was hoping
> for something different as I believe this screen dates back a few
> versions. In addition, how do you feel about adding "echo" icons to your
> submission?

Indeed, this is a must *if* Echo will be the default icon set, but this
was decided or is still up to discuss?

> I noted there is no optional artwork. I assume the decision has been
> made to exclude the splash screen of gimp, open office, gdm, kde, and
> the screen save unlock.

IIRC, the overall opinion was to leave those unmodified.

--
nicu