Comments

Luya Tshimbalanga luya_tfz at thefinalzone.com
Thu Feb 22 05:47:56 UTC 2007

Quoting "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com>:

> Hello Artwork folks,
>
> The Fedora Project Board has been keeping an eye on developments in the
> Artwork subproject for a while now.  We know that there's some
> confusion, and maybe trepidation, about the direction being taken for
> some of the initiatives under the Artwork umbrella.  We also know that
> people are wondering, "Where does the community stand in this effort?"
>
> The Board has been discussing this in its meetings for some time, and we
> have been stumping hard for the community's role in Fedora art.  The
> frustration that some of the community members have expressed is
> understandable, and we've tried to carry your concerns to all the
> parties involved.  But unfortunately, we haven't been completely
> successful, and to make a long story short, we've had to concede the
> default release theme work to the Desktop group inside Red Hat.

I think the issue was probably the lack of communications between some community
members when it comes to the artwork. Perhaps some of them were frustrated with
the lack of feedback with the ideas. With the lack of leadership, this issue
has worsened to the point one of members complained about open source problem.

> This decision is based on a number of factors, not the least of which is
> the involvement of thorny issues of trademark, branding, and the polish
> demands from both inside and outside the Fedora Project.  We're
> fortunate that these graphics are being handled by one of Red Hat's
> skilled desktop artists, Diana Fong, who used the ideas generated by the
> community to jump-start a fresh look for Fedora 7.

What happened was the lack of progress status. There were no indication if Round
2 ended and Round 3 began (it seems it is the current stage). Although I have
no problem on letting the in-house team doing the artwork, one should make a
clarification on the artwork progression and goal.

> We are determined to give the Artwork community whatever help we can
> provide to get their contributions into Fedora, included in the
> distribution for anyone who wants to use it.  As a Board member, I
> agreed in yesterday's meeting to take responsibility for spearheading
> this part of the work.  To ensure that I do this as well as possible,
> and that your ideas are heard, understood, and fairly represented, I
> invite your comments, criticisms, and ideas.

One should start about leadership since Marin's departure.
--
Luya Tshimbalanga
Fedora Project contributor