The New and Improved Art Team

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Feb 26 10:50:17 UTC 2007

Ben Arnold wrote:
> On 24/02/07, Máirín Duffy <duffy at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Do you really think having a centralized community is the best way to
>> go?
>
> I do, a project needs a central point to act as a base for new members
> to start from and for currently active to keep track of. It would
> certainly make me feel more welcome and more organised if I were new
> to fedorArt.

Sure a central point should exist, it may be a page in the wiki, it may
be an aggregation of our blogs, it may be even a dedicate wiki or a
picture gallery.
But as I see, the work and the decision does not have to be centralized:
if a sub-team work on, say, Echo icons, is any need for this team to get
approvals for the leadership of the Art project for every step? I think
the leader of the sub-team and the users of the work (the desktop team?)
is enough to make a decision.

> As this Artwork has to cover a bit of ground and some of the members
> (such as myself) have only a little bit of time in their week to work
> on it, this would mean a couple of people as contacts for a particular
> division and would be able to concentrate on each other's work.

You know, for the time being we are not that many people. Yes, is
rewarding (at the surface) to assign titles to our names, but as how we
are now do you see a sub-team with more than 2-3 people in it?

> Speak of the devil.
>
> There has been an occaision [1] where outside requests have come in
> ofr artists to contribute for an unrelated project:
>
> * Outside Project Requests (kinda speaks for itself, if anyone feels
> like a change, why not help these people in need?)

Because I think we should stay focused.
Of course, we can help external projects, but in my experience (based on
how I did the new logo for GNU Solfege http://www.solfege.org/) a
developer in need for new graphics go to a project working with graphics
(in my case was openclipart.org) and ask for help, one or more people
rely to him in private and then the development takes place on the
appropriate channels (the mailing list / wiki / version control) of the
external project.

--
nicu