artTeam Home Page Mockup

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Wed Feb 28 02:39:59 UTC 2007

Hey folks,

John Baer wrote:
> It currently resides in my personal sandbox but if it this is heading
>  in the desired direction of the team I would like to move it. Please
>  view this as a starting point.

So I took a stab at refactoring this page a little bit (hope it's okay
John) and adding some of things we've been discussing as far as goals,
short-term projects, and long-term projects:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JohnBaer/SandBox

Here's some points of discussion I'd like to bring up about it:

1) Overall does this seem reasonable as a replacement for the existing
art page? Is there anything we're forgetting?

2) An intentional omission here is any reference to the default artwork.
Does anyone not agree with this?

3) What do you folks think about the goals section of the page? Does
anyone disagree about these being the general goals we'd like to work
towards? Do the criteria for success seem reasonable? I'll quote this
section verbatim below for easier dicussion:

> A# Serve as a design firm for the Fedora community, creating artwork
>  and designs to for the Fedora community on request
>
> * How can we measurably achieve this goal? If we advertise this
> service properly to the Fedora commnunity, successfully get a stream
>  of requests (let's say at least 5 requests per month for a start),
> and if we can fulfill at least 5 requests per month to the
> satisfaction of the person requesting them, we can say we have
> successfully met this goal.
>
> B# Provide resources (tutorials, art assets, advice) and
> encouragement for the use of the FOSS creative tools available in
> Fedora, under open licenses to demonstrate the importance of the
> application of FOSS ideas to creative content;
>
> * How can we measurably achieve this goal? If we can provide the
> community with at least 1 major resource (tutorial, article, art
> asset, scheduled lesson event, scheduled outreach event (such as a
> contest to promote FOSS art tools) under an open license, then we can
>  say we have successfully met this goal.
>
> C# Make it easy for 'creative contributors' to contribute to the
> Fedora project.
>
> * How can we measurably achieve this goal? If we can attract at least
>  one contributor every 3 months (for example, at least every three
> months someone new to the artTeam completes a request in the service
>  request pages below), then we could probably say we have
> successfully met this goal.

If we are okay with discussion points #1 and #3 here, I think we're okay
to go ahead and replace the current artwork page with this one.

I don't think discussion point #2 necessarily has to be resolved before
we switch over.