Getting a better sense of community - gallery based groups

Jiri Jakub Masek jjmasek at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 06:17:24 UTC 2007

Hi, when I read the last week discussion comes the idea of an
*art-supermarket* for contributing this project.  Contributors as providers,
Fedora people as buyers. So, isn't it the same idea like this? I support it.

JJM

2007/2/28, Máirín Duffy <duffy at redhat.com>:

> Hi folks,
>
> So one of the things we've discussed every now and then is having some
> kind of gallery system set up (beyond the wiki which isn't quite
> equipped for this) where we can share our work and comment on it, where
> the community can easily browse and comment on it, and (nice bonus) even
> have an RSS feed of artwork the general community can benefit from.
>
> Tonight I started investigating some options we have towards this. A
> great solution would be to have an install of the art.gnome.org software
> or have something custom-built for us, but I don't think we have the
> resources for something like that right now. So I've looked around at
> some other options:
>
> 1) Have an art-specific Fedora planet feed -
>
> It would be something like http://art.planet.fedoraproject.org and it
> would be a feed for artwork, not general blog posts. (E.g. you could
> syndicate your deviant art portfolio feed or a flickr fedora art album
> feed to this.)
>
> Whichever other option we go with, it should produce suitable RSS feeds
> so we should probably do this anyway. Send me your feeds (art, not blog)
> and I'll make the request to set it up.
>
> 2) Set up a Deviant art community -
>
> So I set one up and played around with it, take a look:
>
> http://fedora-art.deviantart.com/
>
> The advantages of deviant-art:
> - is that it is completely tailored for illustrations/designs, not just
> photos.
> - it's free, and you can easily attach your source SVGs (or any other
> type of source files) for your work directly to each piece.
> - pretty much everything is available as an RSS feed
> - nice commenting system for individual pieces
> - no upload/usage limits
> - licensing on images is explicit - when you create a piece of artwork
> you determine the license explicitly
>
> Disadvantages:
> - the RSS feeds don't actually embed the image, they only provide a
> link. (does anyone know if it embeds the image for paid subscription
> accounts? I'd be willing to donate the $$ if so.)
> - having a group appears to be kind of a hack. you actually create a
> user that serves as the group, add your group members as friends (who
> also add the group as followers), and one or a small group of people
> have to manually upload things to the gallery. (this can be a good thing
> though, we can use the favorites system to highlight any fedora work,
> including drafts, and only add final/polished work to the gallery.)
>
> 3) Flickr community
>
> I gave this a try too, take a look:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/groups/fedora-art/
>
> Advantages:
> - free to get an account
> - it doesn't require manual intervention to get graphics in the gallery.
> any group members can push their images to the group pool. (and if
> inappropriate/whatever stuff gets pushed the admin can remove it)
> [...]

I'm still learning English...
Jiří Jakub Mašek - Mr Jiri Jakub Masek
Czech Republic, European Union
http://jjm.xf.cz